China on the Rise: Paul Solman Reports
Catalogue Number: 393361
Producer: Films Media Group
Subject: Business Studies, Canadian World Studies, Economics, Global Issues, Global Studies, Social Sciences, Social Studies
Grade Level: 9 - 12, Post Secondary, Adult
Country Of Origin: United States
Copyright Year: 2007
Running Time: 77:00
Will the 21st century be the Chinese century? Economics correspondent Paul Solman examines the rise of China as a global economic power and the challenges that lie before it in this timely collection of NewsHour reports.
The episodes are:
- China's Growing Economy: This segment spotlights the freewheeling Chinese economy and its growing pains
- The Chinese Consumer: This segment seeks to understand Chinese consumers and how both Wal-Mart and high-end boutiques are catering to them
- The Cult of Mao Zedong: This segment illustrates how the idealism and enthusiasm of the early Mao years is influencing China's emerging free market economy
- Misinvestment in China: This segment sheds light on the Chinese government's notably opaque investment practices and the failing Shanghai Stock Exchange
- Interview with Cheng Siwei: In this segment, China's "father of venture capital" speaks on economic relations with the U.S., foreign investment, textile exports, and the revaluation of the yuan
- Piracy Explored: This segment investigates piracy of foreign intellectual property rights in China, using Viagra as a case in point
- Bumps in the Road?: This segment seriously questions whether China's economy can continue to grow at its incredible pace without major political reform
“As a teaching tool, the seven episodes offer considerable background on the Chinese economy and a number of intriguing points to spark discussion. Recommended.”—Educational Media Reviews Online
Made In China: W5CTV CTV627
There was a time, as China began opening to the world in the early 1980s, when the sign of success...
Ethical Markets: Growing the Green EconomyFilms Media Group 393364
Featuring profiles of visionary entrepreneurs, economists, and activists, this 12-part public...
Women-Owned BusinessesFilms Media Group 393524
With the glass ceiling still firmly in place in many companies, women are starting their own...
Out of Balance - Trading with China: Great Decisions 2019 SeriesScorpion TV SCTV05
The world’s two most powerful countries are locked in an economic standoff, marked by escalating...