Finding My Magic - Children's Rights Series
Catalogue Number: 7D0031
Producer: Seven Dimensions Pty Ltd
Subject: Character Education, Children's Stories, Guidance, Health, Holidays, Social Studies
Grade Level: PreK - 2, 3 - 5
Country Of Origin: Australia
Copyright Year: 2010
Finding My Magic: Children's Rights Series is an animated series of 12 episodes for 4-11 year olds that teaches children how to look after themselves, each other and what their rights are. The series is inspired by the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and features Olympic and World Champion gold medalist Cathy Freeman OAM, as an animated character. Finding My Magic – Children's Rights Series was created by psychologist Eve Ash together with Save the Children, Australia, and follows the success of the multi award winning Introductory Series.
The 12 short episodes have identifiable engaging characters and stories, and each episode takes an in depth look at a right and delivers it in a clear and easily understood manner for a young audience. The accompanying Guide for Teachers is a great resource to enrich the learning experience, complete with discussion questions, games and exercises for children.
Cathy Freeman OAM brings an enthusiastic reality to her animated character, Catherine, the central character she voices. Catherine communicates, questions and stands up for rights of others and in the last episode, bravely tells the class about the Stolen Generations.
Programs included on the disc are:
- Episode 1: Let’s Be Fair (7 minutes) - Vin arrives from India and is initially treated unfairly because of his beginner’s English. The children learn about the right to be treated fairly.
- Episode 2: Listen to Me (5 minutes) - Catherine has a great idea for the redevelopment of school land. Catherine finds a way to have her idea heard and learns about the right for children to be listened to by adults.
- Episode 3: That’s Private (4 minutes) - Kate looks at Tom’s private diary but soon finds out how wrong that was. The children learn about the right to have their privacy respected.
- Episode 4: Don’t Bully Me (5 minutes) - Morko arrives at school and immediately targets Tom for bullying. Tom has help from his dad and teacher, and learns to stand up for his right to be protected from harm, while Morkouncovers his caring side.
- Episode 5: Be at School (4 minutes) - Kate is missing school to look after her younger brothers while her mother works. She tells her mother and her teacher finds a way to get Kate back in school and the children learn about the right to education.
- Episode 6: What’s Best For Me (5 minutes) - Tom is struggling with maths and is upset when his parents arrange tutoring sessions that clash with soccer training. Tom improves and learns the importance of having adults do what is best for children.
- Episode 7: Let’s Be Healthy (5 minutes) - Kate’s teeth are hurting because of neglect and poor diet. Kate sees the dentist and learns about good dental care, healthy eating and the right to the best health care and information.
- Episode 8: My Right to a Good Home (4 minutes) - Morko is living in unacceptable conditions and Catherine’s mum, through her agency, helps Morko’s dad to get back on track. The children learn about the right to a basic standard of living.
- Episode 9: Respect My Beliefs (5 minutes) - After having fun at Vin’s Holi celebration, the children are upset to hear about discrimination against Azra’s sister Reema, for wearing her hijab. The problem is solved and the children learn about respect for each others’ religions and cultures.
- Episode 10: Don’t Exploit Me (4 minutes) - A neighbour takes advantage of Catherine by getting her to do the paper rounds for her. When Catherine’s mother and Mench find out about the situation, Catherine learns about the right to be protected from exploitation.
- Episode 11: Keep Me Safe (6 minutes) - Kate is very upset and tells Catherine a secret about being hurt by her mum’s boyfriend. Catherine reminds Kate about being safe and ensures Kate goes to see the school counsellor. They gain insight into the right to special help if they have been hurt.
- Episode 12: Know My Rights (7 minutes) - The children present class projects about the rights of children and Catherine tells the class about the Stolen Generations. They all learn the importance of rights and responsibilities.
Finding My Magic - Introductory SeriesSeven Dimensions Pty Ltd 7D0026
Finding My Magic is an animated series of 4 short stories featuring three young friends –...