Just Eat It (57 Minute Version)
Catalogue Number: PLF004
Producer: Peg Leg Films
Subject: Consumer Studies, Documentary, Environmental Studies, Family Studies/Home Economics, Guidance, Health, Psychology, Science, Social Sciences, Sociology
Grade Level: 6 - 8, 9 - 12, Post Secondary, Adult
Country Of Origin: Canada
Copyright Year: 2015
Running Time: 52:23
Filmmakers and food lovers Jen and Grant dive into the issue of waste from farm, through retail, all the way to the back of their own fridge. After catching a glimpse of the billions of dollars of good food that is tossed each year in North America, they pledge to quit grocery shopping cold turkey and survive only on foods that would otherwise be thrown away. In a nation where one in 10 people is food insecure, the images they capture of squandered groceries are both shocking and strangely compelling. But as Grant’s addictive personality turns full tilt towards food rescue, the ‘thrill of the find’ has unexpected consequences.
Featuring interviews with TED lecturer, author and activist Tristram Stuart and acclaimed author Jonathan Bloom, Just Eat It looks at our systemic obsession with expiry dates, perfect produce and portion sizes, and reveals the core of this seemingly insignificant issue that is having devastating consequences around the globe. Just Eat It brings farmers, retailers, inspiring organizations, and consumers to the table in a cinematic story that is equal parts education and delicious entertainment.
- Best Documentary – Leo Awards
- Best Documentary Director – Leo Awards
- Best Documentary Musical Score – Leo Awards
- Audience Award – CPH:DOX
- VIFF Impact Award – Vancouver International Film Festival
- Emerging Canadian Filmmaker & Top 20 Audience Choice – Hot Docs
- People’s Choice Award – Calgary International Film Festival
- Best Canadian Documentary – Edmonton International Film Festival
- Must See BC Winner & Runner Up Most Popular Documentary – Vancouver International Film Festival
- Best Canadian Feature – Planet in Focus
- 2015 Festival Choice – One Earth Film Festival
- Best Environmental Film – Sedona International Film Festival
- Grand Jury Prize – Yale Environmental (EFFY)
- Best Documentary – Lake Erie Arts and Film Festival
- Top 20 Audience Choice – IDFA
- Top 20 Audience Picks – Hot Docs
- Runner Up Most Popular Documentary – Vancouver International Film Festival
- Finalist – CINE Golden Eagle Award (Nonfiction Content, Feature – Environment and Science)
- Finalist – James Beard Awards (Documentary)
- Finalist – Scripps Howard Award for Environmental Reporting
From Seed to SeedGrowing Local Productions GLP000
The joy and heartfelt struggle of a Canadian family to sustain their organic farm in a changing...
Trash Talk: Shift SeriesNootka Street Film Company Inc. NSF001
What happens to our garbage after we throw it away? Over 300 millions tonnes of solid waste is...
Meat the FutureLizMars Productions Inc. LMPI00
Imagine a world where real meat is produced sustainably without the need to breed, raise and...
The Carnivore's DilemmaPassion River Films PR0011
Prize-winning investigative journalist and filmmaker Benoît Bringer asks disturbing questions...
LeftoversIndiecan Entertainment Inc. ICE014
Over 5 million American seniors experience food insecurity and are the fastest growing group of...