Teaching Literacy: Teaching and Learning Series
Catalogue Number: 7D0016
Producer: Seven Dimensions Pty Ltd
Subject: Professional Development
Grade Level: Post Secondary, Adult, Educators
Country Of Origin: Australia
Copyright Year: 2009
Running Time: 22:00
- Make the learning focus clear through rephrasing, reinforcement and summarising
- Encourage students to predict, reflect, discuss and support each other.
- Provide opportunities for skills practice in a fun way.
A Year 2 lesson about homophones & words that rhyme but are spelled differently. Teaching emphasis is on:
- Make the learning focus clear
- Rephrase the learning goal
- Reinforce the learning
- Summarise & keep students motivated
- Ask students to summarise the learning
- Reinforce learning beyond the session.
Teacher led small group discussion (Year 2) demonstrating:
- Encourage students to predict
- Make the teaching focus clear
- Interview after reading
- Extend students' understanding
- Link discussion to the text.
Level 2 teachers work with various small groups of students to demonstrate a range of literacy learning activities:
- BINGO - Attending to the visual detail in words
- Design activity for specific learning needs - in this case learning to read the whole word.
A game called "CHUNKS" is used to experiment with words - putting words together from beginnings and end of words - to make real words.
Students are encouraged to search for and cut out common words from newspapers and magazines - that they know and can read. Be enthusiastic and make activity fun.
Students select a book they are familiar with and are challenged with a range of tasks - requiring them to read the book to answer the challenges.
- Link the learning to the game
- Be patient and allow time for understanding
- Use a variety of prompts
- Confirm understanding
DVD accompanied by PDF Workbook containing discussion questions, activities, handouts and full script
Dude, Listen to This! Engaging Boy WritersStenhouse Publishers 000146
In his groundbreaking book, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, Ralph Fletcher took an expedition...
The Daily 5 Alive: Strategies for Literacy IndependenceStenhouse Publishers 000134
It's a common dilemma: Teachers need time to work in one-on-one conferences and in small groups...
CAFE in the Classroom: Helping Children Visualize Literacy GoalsChoice Literacy CL0002
Gail Boushey and Joan Moser (The Sisters) Assessing young readers involves more than determining a...
Launching Literacy Stations: Mini-Lessons for Managing and...Stenhouse Publishers 000131
Literacy work stations are being embraced in many elementary schools as a way to ensure students of...
Intermediate Daily 5: Fostering Independent Literacy Learning in...Choice Literacy CL0012
Imagine a classroom where there is a quiet, purposeful hum of literacy activity during workshops...