Art 21: Art in the Twenty-First Century: Season 8
Catalogue Number: 041849
Producer: PBS Video
Subject: Arts, Travel
Grade Level: 9 - 12, Post Secondary
Country Of Origin: U.S.
Copyright Year: 2016
Running Time: 240
Closed Captions: Yes
Get inspired by today's most compelling artists and discover the stories, ideas, and methods behind their work in the ART21 documentary series Art in the Twenty-First Century. This Peabody Award-winning series takes viewers behind the scenes into artists' studios, homes, and communities to provide intimate access to their lives, creative processes, and sources of inspiration. Join host Claire Danes for Season Eight, featuring sixteen artists from North America whose work helps us see the world in both new and exciting ways.
- Nick Cave - creates Sound Suits blending fashion and sculpture exhibited in static or dramatic presentationsl
- Theaster Gates - a sculptor working to rehabilitate inner city Chicago
- Barbara Kasten - photography and video feature the architecture and landscapes of Chicago
- Chris Ware - creator of graphic novels about people in suburban Midwestern neighborhoods
- Edgar Arceneaux - investigates historical patterns through drawings, installations, and multimedia events,
- Liz Larner - abstract sculptural forms using many, varied materials
- Tala Madani - satirical paintings that evoke clashes of culture
- Diana Thater - video installations that poetically grapple with threats to the natural world
- Natalia Almada - director, cinematographer, editor and narrator of fiction and documentary productions portraying Mexican society
- Minerva Cuevas - sculptural installations and paintings motivated by social issues
- Damián Ortega - social history through common objects featured in sculptures, films, and performances
- Pedro Reyes - transforms existing problems into ideas for a better world through drama and collaborative workshops
Vancouver (Features four Canadian artists):
- Stan Douglas - New media technologies re-enacting historical moments
- Brian Jungen - recombining consumer goods, this sculptor draws from his Dane-Zaa Peace River heritage
- Liz Magor - realistic casts of humble objects that speak to mortality and local histories
- Jeff Wall - photographic realism installations portraying empathetic characters, impossible vantage points, and elusive moments
That's Art SeriesBlue Ant Media BAM063
Art is all around us: tattoos, graffiti, movie posters and book covers. That's Art?! introduces you...
Art 21: Art in the Twenty-First Century: Season 7PBS Video 041736
Season Seven features twelve artists from the United States, Europe, and Latin America, in...
Art 21: Art in the Twenty-First Century: Collection (Seasons...PBS Video 041593
Meet the most dynamic artists of our time - direct, accessible, and unfiltered - in the...