Making School a Positive Place Series
Catalogue Number: 123001
Producer: Stature Films
Subject: Canadian Social Issues, Character Education, Diversity, Guidance, Health and Medicine, Social Issues, Social Media
Grade Level: 6 - 8
Country Of Origin: Canada
Copyright Year: 2018
Closed Captions: Yes
In this engaging Canadian-produced series, internationally renowned youth speaker Anthony McLean leads a group of students in grades 5 through 8 in a discussion about friendships, competition and inclusion. Anthony invites the students to reflect on how “harmless teasing” and competitiveness can impact their friendships. Students are encouraged to make their own commitments, choosing things they can do every week to make their classroom and school a more positive place. This series also features a special performance of Anthony’s original song, “Don’t Go There”, as well as interviews with experts and community leaders.
Series includes the following 7 programs, 8 - 12 minutes each on 2 DVDs.
- Friendship Matters - What does a good friend look like? We can’t always be friends with everyone, but we can always be friendly.
- Too Much Competition - Recess should be fun. When games are full of put-downs and criticisms, it’s not a normal part of being competitive, it’s mean.
- Dealing with Mean People - Mean people are everywhere; how do you handle them? It’s best not to take their negativity to heart. Believe in yourself and surround yourself with people who believe in you too!
- How to Help a Friend - Bystanders have so much power in a bullying situation! They can tell the bully to stop; they can reach out and support the victim; or, if the situation is really serious, they can get help.
- Too Much Drama - Gossip and rumours create a toxic environment! If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, don’t say it behind their back!
- Too Much Teasing - ‘Don’t Go There’ zones! Using his original song, “Don’t GoThere!”, Anthony uses music to make his message about teasing memorable for kids.
- Trouble with Social Media - Think before you click. It’s easy to hide behind a screen and write nasty comments, but you probably wouldn’t say it in person. Being a kind person includes what you say online.
“When Anthony McLean speaks in an assembly of 2000 students, they are totally engaged in every word that he says.” — Principal - Father Bressani Catholic High School - YCDSB
"Anthony's workshops have had a significant impact on our school. He has a profound ability to connect with people and share strategies that help to create a safe environment for all. He was equally impactful while working with parents and members from our community. I would wholeheartedly welcome him back to our school anytime." - Greg Farrell - Principal - Sam Chapman Public School - YRDSB
"Anthony McLean would be an asset to any school community or any parent community. I would highly recommend him." - Krista Benedetti - Principal - Tiger Jeet Singh Elementary School - HCDSB
"This year Anthony presented to our students and the response from staff and students has been overwhelming. His bullying prevention message echoes the values of our Safe Schools team and helps students understand their role in creating a safe and inclusive learning environment. I would recommend him to any school looking for a dynamic, energetic and inspirational speaker." - Aldo Petrucci, Principal, Hunter’s Glen Public School, TDSB
Kindness Counts: How to Make a Real Difference SeriesStature Films 123000
In this new Canadian-produced video series, internationally renowned youth speaker Anthony McLean...
Bully Bystanders: You Can Make a DifferenceHuman Relations Media 600539
Most teens don't like to see their peers bullied but are not sure whether or how to respond. This...
What Does It Mean to Be a Good Friend?Human Relations Media 600553
This program, featuring real kid-on-the-street interviews, fun animation and typical scenarios of...
Me and My 500 Friends: Staying Safe on Social NetworksHuman Relations Media 600569
This timely program provides teens with an essential safety primer on using social networks such as...
Cliques: Where Do You Fit In?Human Relations Media 600528
Explains the nature of cliques, why they develop, how clique leadership controls members, how at...
Gossip, Drama and Social Media SeriesStature Films 123002
In this Canadian-produced series, internationally renowned youth speaker Anthony McLean sits down...