Anti-Racism Awareness Playlist
Catalogue Number: MCI850
Subject: Black History, Canadian History, Canadian Social Studies, Canadian World Studies, Current Events, Diversity, Documentary, First Nations Studies, Guidance, Health, History, Holocaust, Indigenous Issues, Indigenous Peoples, Jewish Studies, Psychology, Social Issues, Social Sciences, Social Studies, Sociology, Women's Studies
Grade Level: 9 - 12, Post Secondary, Adult
Country Of Origin: Canada
The video programs and resource guides in this streaming playlist allow viewers to investigate racial disparities and their underlying causes and identify steps individuals and society can take to alleviate them. Viewers examine the meaning of racism and how discrimination can manifest itself, particularly in a Canadian context.
Titles in this playlist include:
- 1. Mr. Jane and Finch - gives an insider perspective of Black community activism in Canada.
- 2. The Issue of Mr. O’Dell - examines the lifelong work of a pioneering civil rights organizer, Jack O’Dell.
- 3. Cool Black North - explores the unique and vibrant Canadian Black Community and its role in our country’s contemporary identity.
- 4. (Displaced): Indigenous Youth and the Child Welfare System - speaks to Canada’s colonial practice of forcibly removing Indigenous children from their families.
- 5. The Blind Stigma - powerfully removes the veil of shame that clouds the topic of mental illness in the Black community.
- 6. Whitewash - examines slavery in Canada and its omission from the national narrative.
- 7. Soul on Ice - presents and retells the virtually unknown contributions of black athletes in ice hockey.
- 8. Finding Peter Bryce - reveals that not all settler peoples were blind to the injustice inherent in Canada’s residential school system.
- 9. That Never Happened (52 min) - reveals the story of Canada’s first national internment operations between 1914 - 1920.
- 10. Facing Injustice - tells why Japanese Canadians were forcibly removed from the West Coast in 1942.
Black History Month PlaylistMCI777PL
Explore and celebrate the heritage, traditions and culture of Black Canadians, past and...
Human Rights and Ethics PlaylistMCI737
We all have rights and obligations to one another. This playlist helps us come to understand the...
Straight Talk about Mental Health PlaylistMCI820
Our Straight Talk Playlist aims to equip students with the ability to deal with adverse events...
Colonialism and Treaty Education PlaylistMCI773
Indigenous peoples have lived here for thousands of years, with their own unique cultures...
Truth and Reconciliation/Colonialism PlaylistMCI735
An in-depth study of the effects of colonialism in Canada from a historical and contemporary...